Get Out of Debt: Five Easy Steps to Get You Started
We’ve all heard that myth that dreaming about your teeth falling out means you’re worried about money – but what if Mr. Sandman leaves you checking your teeth every single morning? If money is all you can think about, it might be time to make some changes. Want to get out of debt but just not sure where to start? We can help. Here are 5 tips to help get you started!
1. Create a budget and track spending. If you don’t know what you owe, or where your money is going, you can’t realistically make a plan to get out of debt. Inventory your debt totals, create a realistic budget and track your monthly spending in order to motivate and eliminate.
2. Pay more than the minimums. When your credit card bill comes and your minimum payment required is $50, that doesn’t mean that $50 will be taken from your total owing. The majority of this total goes right to interest, so stop paying only the minimum on your credit cards and pump up those payments as much as you can!
3. Stop spending. Sure, this may seem like common sense, but unless you actually do it you are not fixing anything. Look back at that tracker and identify areas that could benefit from a slash. Or, if you can’t seem to resist temptation, get rid of that credit card, take it out of your wallet, or find another effective way to stop using it!
4. Get debt help. Worried that you can’t tackle your debt on your own? You don’t have to. Dealing with debt can be tough, so why not research and get in touch with a reputable, professional debt management firm. There you can get advice on debt relief or find out more about solutions to actually get rid of the money owed.
5. Stay focused. Don’t just say you are going to get out of debt – do it. Stay focused on the end goal, not on how tough it is to get there –most good things don’t come easy! Use your monthly tracker (and those decreasing numbers) as motivation!
Get your debt under control and eliminate your financial stress with these tips. Take it one step at a time and that mountain will soon become a molehill!
For more debt reduction tips please contact DebtCare Canada by calling 1 (888) 890-0888 or visit us online at www.debtcare.ca